Taking Stock

It's just so weird that the end of the year stuff makes me think of what needs to be different in the coming year.

It shouldn't make a difference, right?

Time is a man-made deal and to come up with a list of things that you'd like to change or do different just because the year changes from 2017 to 2018...

...well, it's kinda' weird.

Yet we all seem to do it!

The gym memberships go through the roof for January and by February 1...

...they lapse and people are left wondering:

"Why the hell did I think I was going to change?"

And the truth of the matter is that people really don't change.

I was talking with my father-in-law on Christmas and we unfortunately got around to talking about his brother, who passed away last week.

"Getting older is rough," he said. "A few months ago, my brother called me all excited because he was able to make bubbles."

"What?" I asked.

"He had prostate cancer. He went a long while not being able to get any pressure behind his leaks. He was happy when he was able to finally make some bubbles in the toilet."

I laughed.

But my father-in-law wasn't just joking.

"You gotta' get straightened out," he said. "You're too young to be struggling with your damn legs."

"I know, but what can I do. I gotta' go to work. I'm battling it."

He nodded.

He understands the situation.

"I'm just telling you, it doesn't slow down and you sure as hell don't feel better as you go along."

"My, aren't you full of sunshine," I said.

He laughed.

Yet, he's right, of course.

At least I can still make bubbles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie