The Tree Is Up!

December 16th is actually a little early for us.

Thing is, it’s the same tree that we’ve been putting up for about 15 years or so.

It never actually looks great, and we had a little thought to getting a new one. Sam wouldn’t hear of it.

“That tree has to make it all the way through all of our childhoods.”

So, we dug the tree out, and stood it up.

“You two are decorating it,” I said.

I checked out as they were discussing it.

A couple of hours later I popped back to check their progress. The Yankees ornaments were in place.

“Slight problem,” Sam said.

“What?”

He flipped a switch and the lights only would around the top third of the tree.

“It’s impossible to untangle them.”

“They can be untangled,” I said. “It takes time.”

“Well, the way we see it,” Sam said, pointing to Jake. “Is that WE can’t untangle them. It appears to be a job for Mom.”

And normally I would agree. I don’t have a lot of patience, but later on, as I was just watching a show, I said:

“Give me the lights.”

“Can’t be done,” Sam said.

It was a tangled mess.

My patience was tried.

There was a moment when Melky got tangled up in a section of lights that had already been straightened out.

But, I eventually did it.

So we have lights and ornaments on an old, worn tree.

“Perfect,” Sam said.

“It’s lopsided,” I said.

“Yep. Perfect.”

Ten days and it’ll come down.

We aren’t much for ceremony, but you know what?

It’s Christmas!

Fun, family, food, and Thank the Lord.

Lopsided works too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie