Christmas Fun

There was a moment, as we gathered at my Mom’s for Christmas Eve, when booming laughter filled the room.

Jake was holding court, doing a comedy sketch about the gift exchange game we were playing.

It’s been years since so much laughter filled that space, and by the time Jim set up Dean Martin singing beautifully, I was thankful.

“This music makes me think we’re in a movie from the 20’s where we are racing away from a bank robbery,” Jake said.

More laughter.

On Christmas morning the boys gathered in their usual spot beside the tree. They were in same positions as they’ve been for years and years.

How they had grown and changed, but still our little boys.

They tossed a gift back to me.

“You know you’re cooked when your first gift is a pair of compression socks,” I said.

Yet I was excited!

My feet swell up especially when I fly.

One of the gifts came with a card featuring Clarence Clemons. (I miss the Big Man). I knew it was going to be a good gift and it was.

A Springsteen on Broadway shirt.

And I kept looking out to see what everyone else got. Kathy did all the heavy lifting.

“Put the wrappers in the garbage bag,” I said.

“He doesn’t care what happens,” Sam said. “As long as the room stays clean.”

The more things change...

...it’s not lost on me that we are blessed.

Every moment together, laughing, caring and sharing is important...

...so I stored every second of it.

Because sometimes the laughter stops for a little while...

...and we have to get it back.

I hope Santa was good to you too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie