So Now What?

Woke to the news that the senate jammed a tax reform bill through.

My handling of financial matters has never been a strong suit. If I have a little money in my pocket, I don’t much think about net worth, or future dealings.

I have no idea how the stock market works, and wouldn’t truly feel comfortable gambling that way. It is gambling of sorts, right?

So, when I hear that Wall Street has had a robust day it doesn’t mean a damn thing to me.

Yet what I do know is that if tax money goes to the top, it isn’t coming back down.

Trickle down is horseshit.

Given the choice of forking money over to the worker bees, or buying a summer home, it will be the summer home every time!

(For full disclosure, I have had a fairly stress-free life money-wise, but I have been up and out of my bed and off to work since about the age of 12. I work for a stable, employee-owned company and have been treated fairly).

Yet, there are millions who have truly suffered...

...they’re also getting up and going to work, but are in a dead-end world, and it’s a lifelong struggle.

Here’s the important part...

...they deserve to live a life. They deserve cost of living raises. Their time is worth money. They don’t deserve to be left behind.

It’s funny, but I was watching ‘Christmas Vacation’ last week. It boils down to Clark Griswold waiting on his bonus.

His boss decides to forego bonuses to make the bottom line look better.

In the end, he is shamed to have kept the money and shattered the dreams of his employees.

Not sure that movie can be made to be believable now.

“Tough shit, you’re lucky you have a job,” might be how it ends in 2017.

And that’s a shame.

Forty years ago you could make a life with one parent working. Children went to college without taking out hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans. There was a possibility of retiring. An illness wasn’t a death sentence, or a guaranteed trip to the poor house.

There was compassion for those who were deemed less fortunate!

Those days are gone, and the election was a cry from middle America.

WE NEED HELP!

Those three words were shouted from all corners of the richest nation on the planet.

So, the tax brackets have been redone, and initial reports are that the upper tier will get relief.

Corporations will benefit with the promise that jobs and pay raises are going to pour back in from wherever they went.

America will be great again...

...and we will owe it all to trickle down economics.

Sounds great, right?

(Full disclosure part two...

...I nearly threw up when I heard the news that this is how we’re going to attack our problems).

I really miss compassion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie