Get Lucky Now and Then

This is a tough work week...

...everyone is distracted.

Christmas brings a lot of extra work to get ready for a couple of days of fun.

I had a half a mind to make it an easier week, but one of my contractors called me and begged me to do a 10-hour training class for his employees.

“Let’s do it after Christmas,” I said.

The guy called me every morning for a week. Finally, I got sick of his voice.

“Fine! We’ll do it!”

Over the last year or so I’ve been setting my alarm a half an hour early. I wake up and try my best to get my legs working before I put them on the floor. It also gives me a little time to plan.

I didn’t want to get up on Tuesday. I thought about doing the training and I was kinda’ irritated, but then I thought of something:

Springsteen on Broadway Tickets were on sale at 10:00.

I’d failed in my efforts to get them twice.

Yet, there was a promise. Pops had received an email saying that he was going to get a code.

I got out of bed before my half hour warmup was even up!

I filled the client in on my plan to get tickets.

“They’re going to watch a video from 9:55 to 10:15. I have to get Bruce tickets.”

He laughed.

The code arrived an hour early. I was at the computer and on the site.

What show should I pick?

You know what month I hate????

Yeah. March. I dread every March because I lost my brother early in that dreaded month.

It was time to change the narrative.

I was going to NOT dread March this year.

I chose March 3rd and waited.

The clock wound down.

I entered the access code and held my breath.

A new clock presented itself.

I had 6 minutes to enter the payment information, and my hands were shaking. I had it done with three minutes to spare....

...and a message flashed that told me:

“You’re going to Broadway!”

I returned to the class with both arms raised high. The class gathered laughed.

 (Everyone knows about the Cliff-Bruce Bromance).

We took March back.

And I’m not going to Broadway with just my beautiful wife...

...Jeff and Pops and all the others I’ve seen Bruce with, through the years, will be there.

Sometimes you get lucky.

It pays to get up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie