Can't You Stay Home?

I've often laughed at my beautiful wife and my tremendous mother-in-law for being over-protective of my children.

They have always been that way.

They check in with one another more than a few times a day and even speak in code at the end of the night to alert one another that there aren't any burglars in their homes holding them hostage.

It's maddening!

Yet...

Jake is a social butterfly now.

He's also playing a lot of basketball with his friends.

Pick-up games that Sam joins in on.

"We're going to play hoops!" They'll yell and then they pile into the car with one of their friends and off they go.

I did the same thing as a young man and I also threw long rounds of golf and a whole lot of dates in there.

So what's the problem?

On Friday night, I watched the Yankees lose to the hated Mess so my mood was a little lousy.

"Where's Jake?" I texted to Sam.

"Should be arriving shortly," Sam answered. "He's out for something to eat."

I wondered why he had to leave the house to eat...but all right.

And then I heard a siren.

Followed by about ten more.

Whatever was going on was happening in close proximity.

A car accident?

I got out of bed.

"When is Jake getting home?" I asked my beautiful wife, pretending that I just hadn't received an answer from Sam.

"I just talked to him," Kathy said. "Shortly."

I went back to bed.

I tried to read.

The sirens were getting louder.

I resisted the temptation to text Jake.

A half an hour passed and then I heard a car slowing down in front of the house.

Jake was home!

I heard his voice downstairs.

I cursed the thoughts of worry.

Worrying doesn't do a damn thing!

The next day Jake passed me in the hall.

"We're going to play ball," he said.

"Again?" I asked. "Why can't you just stay home?"

He laughed and looked at me kinda' funny.

"Are you turning into Mom?" he asked.

Damn!

I guess I am!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie