Read All About It!!!

I'm sad.

Mike Lupica was let go from the New York Daily News.

I'm an avid newspaper reader.

I have read at least one newspaper every single day for the last 48 years!

I still get up and go off to the store to pick up the newspaper - The Buffalo News - every single day.

I look for the columns from Bucky Gleason and Jerry Sullivan and Mike Harrington.

I honestly disagree with all three of them more than I agree with them because they all seem to really hate the 27-Time World Champion Greatest Franchise in the History of Organized American Sports - but I read them.

Every single day.

A lot of the heroes that I've had in my life have been writers.

I loved Larry Felser's comments about the Bills, Sabres and Yankees (again...didn't always agree...but he was a great writer).

As a kid my Dad was always yelling me about one thing...over and over...taking the paper from him.

As a teenager I would read anything I could get my hands on and I dreamed of writing something that somebody read on a daily basis. A whole bunch of great writers reached me and I couldn't imagine a better thing to be then a newspaper columnist.

One word after another.

When I heard that Lupica was being let go I thought one thing...

...Oh shit!

Newspapers are dying!!!

And it's not a huge surprise.

My kids have never actually picked up a newspaper.

They sit with me as I pick through it and ask them questions, but put it this way, I don't have to look around the house for the newspaper...

...because I'm the only one who reads it!

I get a bunch of information off my phone now as well.

But I can't imagine not being able to grab a newspaper and opening it wide.

I just can't imagine it.

I'm sad.

And I know that if you write something now there are more and more places for it to be read, but no one is actually being paid for their talents anymore.

Good writers, great writers will always write...

...and they will do it for free now, evidently.

That's sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty