Lying for a Living

I had cause to share a little time with a lawyer recently...

...in a tense setting.

And the entire dance in a courtroom or a hearing is absolutely baffling to me.

The same question is repeated in 9 different forms in order to get a potential witness to trip up.

Documents that answer a question properly are simply ignored and little bits and pieces of other documents are utilized in order to make a case that the person making the case knows is not true!

It's amazing.

And at the same time it's sort of exciting.

Depending upon what is hanging in the balance it's something to see when the lawyers and the judges dance around, using the English language as a tool of deception.

There was a moment when I had cause to see one of the lawyers that could safely be seen as 'on the other side'. It was well before the proceedings were to start and we made precise eye contact.

"Hi, how are you?" I asked.

The lawyer simply did not answer.

Just looked back at me!

Like a boxer before a bout.

I'm not the kind of guy who takes kindly to such blatant rudeness.

"You can't even say 'Hello'?" I asked.

"Hi, how you doing?" the lawyer asked.

I didn't answer.

Now I watch a lot of Judge Judy.

I know how it all goes.

You are to be quiet until it is your turn to speak (or Judy will hammer your stupid ass)...

...but it's really hard to do when someone is simply cherry-picking information and testifying that what they are saying is the truth when you know damn well...

...that it isn't.

Now there is also a real disadvantage to trying to play the game when you are not speaking the very same language.

A lawyer knows how to swing the tide.

The judge may very well be friends with the lawyer.

It's a real dance.

Thankfully things worked out in the hearing that took place. A lot of the talk centered around truth and non-truth and since I have a real hard time with deception...

...I was on the right side of things.

And the whole thing swung to the side of what was correct.

Then we were off the record.

And it was time to say goodbye.

I didn't bother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty