Life's A Bitch!


"Life's a Bitch!"

Someone I love dearly sent me that three-word note on Friday as I was trying hard to get back home to get a couple of days rest after a really long week.

We had traded texts about our various aches and pains and notes about how difficult things are sometimes.

"It's about moments," I answered. "Getting to the moments where we laugh."

I've always loved that photo of my Mom and Dad.

I try to imagine what they were laughing about.

It could have been anything.

They made each other laugh for a lot of years.

They made everyone around them laugh.

When I see that photo I think of a day long ago.

A salesperson had shown up at our front door.

Dad didn't want to listen to a sales pitch.

Mom let the lady in.

There was one problem with the entire situation:

The woman had badly crossed eyes.

Regardless, Mom led the woman to the kitchen table and sat across from her.

The woman began to speak.

Dad took the position directly behind the woman.

Where only Mom could see him.

As the woman spoke, Dad crossed his eyes and did a little dance.

Mom tried not to look, but she did.

And when Dad made Mom laugh there wasn't much that could stop her from laughing for a long while.

You can imagine that poor saleslady.

Dad had long since disappeared from his spot behind her.

Mom just sat there, bent over in laughter.

"I really wanted to kill him," Mom says all these years later.

And then she laughs.

Even with Dad no longer beside her...

...she can laugh.

Yeah...life's a bitch.

But it's way too short.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie