D.B. of the Week - Jason Pierre-Paul

Should a grown man be playing with fireworks?

I don't know.

I never actually wanted to do it, but there has to be people who are willing to set them off so that others can enjoy them.

I hardly even look up anymore during a fireworks show.

It was interesting when the kids were young, I suppose, but my kids are actually afraid of their own shadows so they were more scared than excited.

Anywhoha...

The D.B. of the Week this week is New York Giants player Jason Pierre-Paul.

He burned his hands while setting off fireworks and put his new $60 or $70 or $80 million dollar contract extension in peril.

It seems that every year July 5th is the day when we total up the losses of limbs. One poor guy was killed this year when he set off a firework on top of his own head.

I actually felt bad reading that story as he family of the kid was trying to stress that the kid knew enough but that it was an accident.

Yet...I'm a safety guy by trade.

I don't much care for the word 'accident.'

I've never actually seen a true accident in all the years I've been investigating incidents.

But back to J.P.P.

Why is he considered the D.B. of the Week?

Well.

Put it this way...

...if someone was willing to pay me $60 or $70 or $80 million dollars to chase other men who are holding a ball I'd do all that I could to take care of the only thing that makes me a moneymaker.

Hell...I'd eat right.

I'd sleep on a bed that had rails on it so I didn't roll off.

I'd do whatever I could possibly do to stay out of harm's way.

Holding a lit firecracker?

Not a freaking chance in hell!

And I'm sure that J.P.P. feels like holy hell right about now. Not only has he burned his hands (one of them fairly seriously) but the Giants also yanked their huge offer - and who could blame them?

A few years ago a Yankee player lost a big contract because he tore up a knee while playing hoops.

Some of these guys get hurt on skis or shooting themselves in the leg in a nightclub.

I'd be wrapped up in bubble wrap during the off-season.

I wouldn't have a choice.

My beautiful wife - who collects money - would make sure that I could go to work.

I hope J.P.P. recovers.

Even a dopey bastard deserves to continue to perform.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty