I Am the Best

I've been seeing a really alarming trend lately.

"I think I'm the greatest of all-time," LeBron 'Floppy the Crybaby' James.

"I'm the best running back in the league," LeShon McCoy.

"I'm the best player in the draft," Jack Eichel.

Then check out the buzzer-beating shots in the NBA Playoffs.

The guy who hits the shot...whether it's LeBron, or Paul Pierce, or Derek Rose...

...they all have scowls on their faces.

They're mad!

Now I'm thinking the trend is coming from a society where hip-hop music is all about themselves.

"I'm this and I'm that."

But I always think about a story that I heard a long time ago from a guy who clearly could have said 'I'm the greatest' a time or two...but never did...Derek Jeter.

Jeter was a rookie with the Yankees and he had a great game. He was interviewed and following the interview the captain of the team, Don Mattingly, called him over and told him:

"Try not to let the word 'I' come out of your mouth."

Great advice.

Jeter listened.

Following a Cavs game the other night I read a story that recapped the game.

In about 4 sentences Floppy the Crybaby said 'I' 9 times.

He never once mentioned 'we' or his teammates or his coach or even the freaking fans!

And it's a weird dynamic.

When was the last time that a guy like him ever once lost something in a social situation?

"We're pulling your car up, LeBron."

"Your massage table is ready, LeBron."

"We ordered your dinner, LeBron."

"Can I rub your freaking feet, LeBron?"

How can it not be all about him?

And when that starts to happen you hear all sorts of weird things out of the mouths of people who feel that when it's not about them...they're being disrespected.

And it's not just pampered superstars.

People all around you are wondering...

...What about me?

I'm the best payroll clerk in all the land. I'm the best laborer, I'm the best doctor...

Me, me, me

I, I, I.

Hopefully that's not the way that it will continue to go, but I'm a little concerned.

The new running back is already crowing.

The new hockey player believes he's better than the other guy.

Mattingly had also told Jeter one other thing that day long ago:

"Do what you do. Let other people toot your horn."

A buddy of mine is a true LeBron fan.

I texted him the quote that had 9 'I's' in 25 words and said:

"You ever see that come out of Jeter's mouth?"

My buddy said:

"There won't ever be another Jeter."

Sadly.

That might be true.

(By the way...I'm the best blog writer ever).

The best!

It's not even close!!

(God...that really is annoying!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie