Build A Moat

Read the story about a parent backing over their child in the driveway. Thankfully, the kid is going to survive, but that's a story that happens way too many times.

It's heartbreaking.

You spend your days just worried, worried, worried about your kids...

...my kids are getting older.

You know what?

The worry has gotten worse.

Now they're out there in other people's cars, or driving around...and you're home...wondering...hoping...checking in.

Last week Jake had prom and then he went to spend some time with his buddies on a camping trip.

I thought it was a horrible idea.

Until I thought about the fact that as a kid we went camping nearly every single weekend...Friday to Sunday...without ever checking in!

We didn't have a phone.

We weren't worried about calling home.

Evidently our parents weren't worried either.

Yet on Saturday night Jake sent a message to Sam that his phone was dying and that he'd turn it on and check in when he could.

He let it go for awhile.

"Heard from Jake?" I asked.

"No, and I'm trying really hard not to freak out," Kathy answered.

I kept telling myself about my camping trips as a kid. Hopefully Jake was behaving. I was trying not to freak out as well.

Another half hour ticked by.

"Where is he, exactly?" I asked.

Kathy told me where the campground was.

We waited a few more minutes.

Sam emerged.

"Jake is fine," he announced. "He wants to know why you're hounding him."

I had only sent one text to him and one to his buddy.

Kathy had sent a few more than that.

And I got to thinking about when we brought them home from the hospital.

I wanted to build a moat around the place so no one could get in and no one could get out.

Guess it doesn't change much when they become adults or near-adults.

"You guys are ridiculous," Jake said when he returned, looking no worse for the wear.

But I know.

He appreciates the fact that we care.

Anyone know how to build a moat?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie