Hard to Fathom

I work at a job where safety is the main thought of my day...every day.

I go to one site after another, speaking to guys that I've known for years and years.

A whole bunch of guys seek me out to get information regarding OSHA Regulations that are applicable to their work.

Most of the times it's a great job.

I go from site to site...talking to guys, documenting the controls and making observations.

I have loved the job for a long time.

I get up and go...no matter how I feel. I believe that I need to be there...every day...just in case someone needs information.

I really want to save these guys from harm.

And that just can't happen.

Through the years I have had to talk to men about their co-workers who suffered horrific, tragic injuries.

No matter how hard everyone seems to try...

...bad things happen out there.

This week there were three fatalities.

Three men lost their lives...

...just getting up and going to work.

Mistakes may have been made.

Fate may have played a part.

Things could have been done but weren't.

And in the end...

...it tears you up.

I wasn't directly involved with any of the jobs, but I knew a couple of the guys for a long time.

Shared a few laughs...

...talked safety with them.

And as I drove back and forth from one meeting to another as people tried to figure out how things went wrong...I thought about the fact that despite all best efforts...it still happened.

You start to feel useless, I guess.

"Think about all the people you saved through the years," one of my buddies said to me.

You never actually know when you do that though.

You certainly do know when you don't save them.

And that's hard to fathom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie