Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk, Talk

On Thursday evening I sat in my hotel room trying to watch the NCAA games. There were three young girls sitting outside, in the sunshine, and they were talking and talking and talking. I swear the one girl must have sprained her tongue. Just one word after another...blah, blah, blah, blah blah.

"When you say hello to her it's like turning on the radio," my father once said about a girl who never shut up when we worked together.

And I don't get it. Maybe because I write down my thoughts a lot of the time, but I'm not one for small talk.

"This weather is great!" A stranger said to me today.

I agreed but silently I considered not even answering. Why do I care if she thinks the weather is great?

"Do you like the Escape?" another stranger asked me as I was getting into my vehicle.

What would it matter if I answered? Would he run right out and buy his own.

"It's comfortable; okay on gas," I said.

At dinner the guy at the table beside me, noting that I was wearing a Mantle shirt asked me if I liked the Yankees.

Did he think I was a Red Sux fan trying to root for them through reverse psychology?

We talked about the state of the pitching staff and Andy coming back.

The thing is, and I may be wrong about this, but I've noticed that women seem to talk more than men.

Am I wrong?

I have a couple of nieces who should be paid by the word. You can catch up with their last three weeks in about three minutes time. I love them, of course, but man!

I do feel for my beautiful wife. She does her best to engage all of us in conversation that has nothing to do with sports or music. My boys don't seem all that interested in small talk either.

"Please tell us one of your beautiful work stories," Jake told Kathy one night.

She refused to do it and feigned hurt feelings.

That lasted for ten minutes.

Wait! Listen to that!

My next door neighbors after an hour of nonstop chatter shut up.

And then the phone rang.

And then they started talking again.

Comments

Awesome! Laughed through the whole post. Funny. Had the same thoughts today!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie