The Knee Bone is Connected...

I never paid attention to that song when I was young. You know the one, right.

The knee bone is connected to the foot bone, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway, my therapist, Terry, is a fine woman. I almost looked forward to getting hurt so I could see her again. Just an ultra-smart professional with a great personality and a better laugh.

Problem being, she's smarter than me, and my Dad used to tell me to stay away from the ones that are smarter than me.

It's a wonder I married my beautiful wife, Kathy, given how much smarter she is, right darling?

Anyway, Terry was trying to explain the back injury to me. I am perplexed by the fact that the numbness in my right leg and the really sore groin on the left side is all connected.

Terry mentioned nerve tension and tried hard to work my legs a bit.

And it is all so irritating.

There were a bunch of kids playing hoops at the YMCA the other day. They were going hard, full court, popping shots from deep in the corners, fighting for rebounds.

Years and years ago as a young man we played in a rec league. One of the guys who I guarded was in his 50's. He was a step slower, but he played every game. (Miss you Peter!).

"I want to play when I'm in my 50's," I told him then.

"I hope you can," he said.

Turns out, I can't.

One of the kids playing in the game below the walking track where I was stranded received a pass in the corner. He faked his defender out of position and put the shot up. It clanged off the rim. The kid followed his shot (something I never did because I thought they were all going in) got the rebound, elevated, and slammed it through.

As he cheered for himself I smiled.

For a moment there he was just plain unstoppable.

It goes real fast, kiddo. Enjoy yourself.

Nerve tension will be settling in before you know it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie