An Ill Wind Blows

Man, did you read any of the horrifying stories in regard to the tornadoes that battered some of the towns across the country?

I've never seen a tornado up close and I hope that I never do. I remember being about ten years old, living in Florida, when they called for a major storm. The trees were bending, we were all crying. Thankfully the twister didn't take us out to sea.

But it's one of those days you never forget.

I bring it all up because of the story making rounds today about the Mom who lost both of her legs when she shielded her children from the storm.

There's a little bit of heaven in every tragedy.

Stephanie Decker was home with her son and daughter when the tornado bore down on their home. They headed for the basement and she covered the children with her body. The crumbling house cost her one leg below the knee and all of her other leg.

She saved her kids lives.

That's a tough road, but I bet she'd do it again.

I think of what we would do for the kids around this place and I'm certain that if it came to a choice both Kathy and I would be hopping around here on stubs.

Of course we would.

And it takes me back to the post of a week or so ago about those that abuse their kids. There certainly comes a time in a man's life, hopefully, when they realize that it isn't about him anymore...not really.

It's about making sure that the replacements are set up for a life that is happy, healthy and prosperous.

As the kids have grown I've always kind of put it into their laps...during the summer months when they are off I'll often ask them:

"What did you do to help me today?"

My kids all have different attitudes on this.

Matt will usually feel guilty and ask what needed to be done.

Jake will answer with: "Absolutely nothing!"

Sam will have a list ready to explain all that he did.

It's fun to see how far they'd go to please us...

...all the while knowing that we'd give up our legs for them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie