Don't Talk to Strangers

Weird isn't it that our minds take us back in time whenever we hear a song that was popular or meant something?

The I-pod gave me two straight today. Yeah, I took a ten song break from the new Bruce CD, but don't read anything into that - it's brilliant and wonderful. He's as good at 62 as he was at 26.

Anyway...Rick Springfield was the singer who broke through with "Don't Talk to Strangers."

What's funny about it is that I thought of high school and my friends and the girls we liked back then.

And I knew every single word.

Who's the Don Juan I've been hearing of?

How do we remember it all? How does it come right back to us as if we heard the song yesterday? And the feelings.

I thought of riding around in Renaldo's beat-up old car, heading to play golf, wondering what life would bring.

It brought plenty, but them were the days, right? There are plenty of new songs, of course, but they don't write them like that anymore.

And as soon as that one was done I was treated to Meatloaf and "2 out of 3 Ain't Bad."

Did you ever meet anyone that didn't like that song?

And you've been cold to me so long I'm crying icicles instead of tears.

There is one thing that I am certain of after hearing both of those songs after a real long break:

I should have been a rock star.

Don't we all think we sound real good when we sing alone?

Its the old tree falls in a forest deal. We don't really know the sound unless someone else is there to tell us how lousy it is.

Hey, maybe that's what happened to all those girls we had crushes back on back then...perhaps they heard us singing and instead of seeing Rick Springfield sitting beside them they saw Meatloaf.

That's gotta be it.

And they were pretty much right.

It's their loss, right, Jeffy?

Comments

Anonymous said…
koneys been dead 5 years.
Rita said…
I love that your Ipod contains Rick Springfield songs... just sayin'!

At 62, he still looks good -- just like your man!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie