Life At Its Best


On Saturday most of the small Town of North Collins will gather to play kickball.

Yep, in 90-plus degree heat grown men and women will play kickball in honor of a friend to all: Cathy George who passed away after battling cancer. This is the 7th annual kickball tourney and all of the proceeds go to charity.

Life at its best.

Of course, being born and raised in North Collins I knew Cathy fairly well. I was a wee bit older, but that didn't stop me from knowing her entire family. That's the way small town living is.

Besides, who doesn't know Foxy and Foxy Jr., right?

Yet tonight I was slipping off to sleep and I saw the announcement for the tourney on the Facebook page of Cathy's friend Diane Mathis, and it struck me that life is really something sometimes. There is so much to get down about, but this is a great story.

Imagine tomorrow.

Beer, fun, burgers, Chinese Auction, love, laughter and friendship. I'm sure that events like this go on every once in awhile in all of the small towns all across this great land, but they don't get a lot of play in the media.

In a few weeks, this same group of friends is going to meet with my family to benefit my brother's children.

It's what people with great hearts do.

One of my personal goals for 2012 is to play in Cathy's tournament next year. There were a number of factors that went into not being able to field a team of Fuzzy's this year...none of them great excuses, but if you've seen us all walk into a party this year, you know that we've been wounded.

But that doesn't stop a few glorious things from happening this year:

Like remembering Cathy's wonderful life.

Like feeling the beauty of life when put into the context of small-town living...

...and love.

How I wish the television stations sent cameramen to such an event. Why shouldn't it be front page news tomorrow?

Announce the winners as you'd announce the winners of American Idol or the last Sabres game. (The Flyers, by the way).

'Cause when it all comes down to it, isn't this what we all should be talking about?

Isn't it life at its best?

Comments

Larry L said…
I sure do miss Noth Collins

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie