A Doozy of a Day

Thinking back a week when Kathy asked if I'd ever made a mistake in life and I acknowledged making one and that it had been a doozy...

Picture the scene:

A tiny little bar that is home to construction workers. My watering hole. I would stop each and every Friday night...and a lot of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights as well.

Kathy and I were working together at the time and we were becoming fast friends who liked to flirt quite a bit. I was eternally single...she was Miss-A-Little-Time-On-Her Hands. She was the only female in the bar, but she hung around anyway, laughing and talking with my buddies.

Van Morrison songs were on the jukebox. Think Into the Mystic and Domino and Moondance.

The owner of the bar removed the Springsteen songs when I started coming around. I guess the time I played Better Days eleven times convinced her of such a move.

Anyway, a half dozen Michelob Lights and a couple of shots of Cuervo had me feeling pretty good. Yet I was living alone and facing a night of Sega Hockey by myself. No real plans.

"Wanna' come to my place for another beer?" Kathy asked.

Herein lies the doozy that we speak of.

"I'll be by," I said.

The rest is history.

That was a lot of years ago on July 1. An anniversary of sorts.

We are talking of going out tonight.

Domino came on the I-pod this morning.

"How's work?" Kathy just texted me.

"I'm tired," I said.

"Me too," she replied, "And we gotta' go out tonight."

I haven't drank very many beers lately. Less than ten in six months, I would say.

But tonight I may have a few.

Miss-A-Little-Time-On-Her-Hands is still around.

A doozy of a decision.

Thank God I went by for a nightcap.

Comments

Cindy Lehnortt said…
Like...Need I say more

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie