25,000 Days


I took a photo of the sky as I entered the Thruway at Milestrip Road. It was a little after seven a.m. when I pointed the camera at the sky and I did it without really thinking. Just sort of looked like something was reaching down to me.

"Just another day," I thought as I clicked through the list of places I was expected and true to my nature, one stray thought made me think about a bunch more.

Just another day is kind of a waste. Especially when you only get about 25,000 of them...and that's if you're real lucky.

And break it all down.

One-third of those days is spent asleep...not counting after-pasta naps - so we're down to 16,500 or so. The first twenty years are spent in a cloud of confusion...so down to about 10,000. We spend hour after hour waiting on line, sitting on the toilet, waiting at a red light, watching countless hours of garbage television.

Conservatively, we are down to about 6,000 days left.

How can we afford to just throw one away as 'just another day?'

Think about the days you really, really remember.

How many are there?

What were you doing?

Doubtful that the one's you truly remember are the one's where you drank too much, ate too much, or did something that only benefited your own simple life.

I bet the days you recall are the one's you spent with someone else. Someone that you really loved, or thought you loved.

That sky is really cool, right?

Like someone is reaching down to hold you close.

Like someone or some power is asking you to appreciate the day granted to you.

Hopefully it's one of those that you remember.

Days from now.

Years from now.

When the days are getting short.

The fuse is burning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie