Ain't That America

Saw a lot of tan and sore people at work today. The sun was shining in Buffalo for 3 straight days and there was a lot going on.

My final tally?

About 6 hot dogs, a couple of Italian Sausages, salt potatoes, pasta, a few shots of Jamesons, a couple of beers, a bit of prime rib, and a half dozen stuffed peppers (yes, I used Jeff's recipe...no, they weren't nearly as good).

I also played an absolutely horrific round of golf with the Apes and shot basketball with the boys at least four times. It was funny but I watched Jake and Sam play a one-on-one and their personalities, their games, everything reminded me of my brothers and me playing in our backyard. Sort of heartbreaking.

Yet the weekend wasn't about heartbreak. It was about fun.

Late last night I laid in bed with Melky cowering beside me because the neighbor kids were blowing off fireworks. I really never got the appeal of lighting them, but as I laid there a few words popped into my head.

And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air

And I thought of all of the sacrifices made so that shlubs like me can come and go as I please, eat until I can't move, and play any game I want with my family and friends in my own backyard.

By the end of the weekend, my knee had swelled back up, my elbow hurt, and I laughed a bunch with my family. I also mowed the lawn, caught a couple of horrible movies, and took the dogs for a ride.

Ain't that America for you and me

Ain't that America land of the free...

...what a great weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie