Wow! Game Seven!

The City of Buffalo and all of the surrounding communities is going to come to a grinding halt on Tuesday night at 7:30. The City of Philadelphia and the followers of the Flyers are going to be in the same anxious state.

I am going to be a casual observer. More likely than not I will be watching a lot of the Yankee game that night.

Now it's not that I don't care. My boys are all fired up. I should be rooting hard for them. Buffalo needs a resounding victory one of these years because life hasn't always gone swimmingly here. Taxes are high. People work really hard here. The guys on the Sabres seem like decent, hardworking men. That sport is unbelievably rough.

My main problem about not getting caught up in it is that hockey seems a tad tedious to me these days. I used to love the beauty of the sport, but there's so much clutching and grabbing that the beauty of it all seems gone. I was never a guy who cheered for the fighting. I get it. I just never liked it. I used to love, love, love the sport when guys were flying down the wing, shooting, stickhandling, and scoring.

Its my personal opinion. I see the draw...it just isn't for me.

What also rubs me the wrong way is the hero worship. Too much community excitement in anything drives me nuts. The Sabres schedule has been front page of the paper each day. Their interviews lead every newscast, every day, all three networks. Yesterday someone posted on Facebook that Thomas Vanek is Jesus on skates.

Now, I realize that folks are just excited. When the Yanks are in the series I think of the games plenty...almost to the point of distraction, but Jesus? Come on.

I've done better this year. I've stopped listening to it so much. I made a bet with my cousin that involves a big dinner. For. The sake of all those root, root, rooting for the Sabres I hope I lose.

Through the years I've ridden the Sabres train. I suffered through 4 Super Bowl losses. The Yanks have won six times with me rooting for them, but they've been eliminated way more times than that. They've lost 4 World Series during that time.

The sun will come up, hopefully, on Wednesday.

The game will be dissected, win or lose. Dinner will either be served by me, or for me. Hopefully fans of the game will be able to digest the end result without too much problem.

Game 7 oughta' be wild.

A few weeks ago a Giants fan was beat, for all intents and purposes, to death at Dodger stadium.

Its sports, people...an amusing distraction. Nothing more or less.

Go Sabres!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie