Taking Stock...Again

Although I fancy myself as a helluva' thinker, I must admit that I really haven't figured out a whole hell of lot in the past few days.

Let's assess the scene: it's the middle of the night, although time is irrelevant. I'm watching Married with Children, coming off a day when I saw three baseball games and at least four episodes of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. I had figured that I could get the notebook out and jot down some thoughts for writing purposes, but "Oh no, I gotta' pee," won't make much in the way of reading.

But I am thinking of what I've been missing: work, for instance. I have worked for so many years, and with a true dedication that I feel as if I am letting down the people who pay me. I need to reconcile that as I will be better in the long run, but it bothers me.

Secondly, I am missing out on the family dynamic. Evidently I'm not thrilling enough to just hang with. Other than Melky, no one seems all that fired up about watching me move the ice pack around. Yet I'm a lucky man because my wife was trained in nursing and she's really taking care of me. She even cooked my steak perfectly despite her love of burning meat. So I got that going for me.

Even though she does not seem enamored by the idea of showing off what she learned about sponge baths, and did you know that nurses don't have dress uniforms anymore. Also, yesterday after not seeing her for about an hour, I asked where she'd been.

"You aren't my only patient," she said.

The training has paid off.

So, I'm missing the family.

I'm also missing a benefit for a guy who truly suffered: my 30-year old nephew who nearly died over the winter due to Thyroid Shock. 72 days in the hospital, and although he is on the mend, is still traveling a bumpy road. Two young kids, a great wife, and a lot of suffering in the rearview mirror. I know the benefit will be a huge success. Enjoy the day Jake.

And so taking stock, I see only the goodness in the world. Beyond the suffering there is giving. Jake was sick and the people who love him are working hard to help.

The relief for the people of Japan is pouring in. The United States is trying to save the people of another torn country. Break it down, build it up. When you are down, stay down for the shortest amount of time possible, and when you're back on your feet, appreciate the solid moments.

Shh, I hear stirring in another part of the house!

Is the nurse looking for a sponge?

Comments

deafjeff said…
You better hope she doesn't come up there with a Brillo pad!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie