An Easter Memory

Legend has it that on Easter 1991 my Aunt Carolyn handed me a platter of scrambled eggs. It looked like a big pile of eggs, but I was going to do my best to be a good guest. I ate them.

There were a dozen eggs on the plate.

They were supposed to be for everyone.

Ah well. That's not why I'm writing about Aunt Carolyn today. I'm writing about her because she has been moved from the hospital to her home so that she can spend the last few days of her life with her wonderful family.

I'm writing because I'm sad again. Sad that our tight-family is about to lose another valued member.

As soon as I finished the eggs that Easter morning, I watched Aunt Carolyn move around the kitchen, getting ready to prepare the feast for every invited guest and a few that just happened by. My Aunt is just like my Grandma and my Dad...everyone who walks thru the door gets fed.

"I have to peal twenty pounds of potatoes for these pigs," Aunt Carolyn said.

I grabbed a pealer and we started in. Together we pealed all of those potatoes. It was just the two of us, telling stories, laughing and sharing.

What family does.

Later that year, I drove Aunt Carolyn back to Baltimore after a trip to Buffalo. She made me laugh all the way.

That's when she let me in on the secret about the eggs.

"I can't believe you ate the whole plate. As you were finishing I was wondering if you were going to ask for more."

We laughed. We shared.

And I can only write about my Aunt from my perspective. I know how much she is loved from thousands of other hearts.

Recently someone made a remark to me about how successful a rap artist is. This rap artist spent years in jail, and has been shot a few times.

"What makes him a success?" I asked the kid who was bragging about the rapper.
"Cash," the kid said. "He makes way more money than you ever will."

I beg to differ about the meaning of success.

My aunt is successful beyond all earthly compare. The love she gave was way more than the love she took.

But she has taken plenty through the years.

Because she is well loved and always will be.

And besides, those eggs were terrific...

...as was every meal served at the Switala home away from home.

Comments

deafjeff said…
I remember Carolyn and Lenny feeding us when we took that trip down to Baltimore. I've had the pleasure of meeting and seeing several times that they've come up for all the family celebrations and lately for the all sad stuff. May she rest peacefully and get her just reward for a life well lived.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie