Books, Books Everywhere

I finished the Keith Richards book in little more than a day. It was one of those books that captures you, holds your attention and takes over for the time you're devouring it. The Stones were a mess and Richards was the main offender, but he didn't have his blood changed, and it's not true that he snorted his father's ashes.

Still, this is about the books that were scattered all over my room. They were stuffed into a cabinet that overflowed.

"Why don't you throw them out?" My wife asked.

I recall my mother and father having the same discussion. My mother has books all over the big house on the hill. My father never read a book cover-to-cover as far as I know. He used to tell me that he "scanned" my books, but not sure he ever finished one. That's okay, it wasn't his thing.

And people who read every night before bed understand the passion involved. I believe that I read 100 books a year. One after another. Fiction to non-fiction and there are always five books ready to go. Sometimes I read two at a time, picking them on depending on the mood I'm in.

When I finish the book, I put it in the cabinet. I probably will never read it again, but I can't bare to part with it.

So my wife sort of gave in. I got a 2nd cabinet delivered to the room yesterday. I organized my books and loaded up the cabinet. So cool. I love looking at the books all gathered. John Sandford, Stephen King, John Steinbeck, Cliff Fazzolari. All of the best books, side-by-side, just waiting there for me to pick them up again.

Those books made the cut. They won't just be tossed aside.

I suppose that someday I will have to thin out the collection but, for now, I glance at the full cabinets and think of Mom. So glad that she handed down her love of reading.

"Books are boring," my sons argue.

I sincerely beg to differ. They kick the crap out of movies, television, even sports. Sometimes after reading before sleep I will dream about the plot of the book and try to guess along with the author. Once in awhile we are in sync. Sometimes I am way off.

The thrill of it all is that the plot can go in hundreds of directions and the thrill is in the discovery.

Pick up a good book sometime. Grab a Stephen King, or a Steinbeck, or a Fazzolari.

You won't be sorry. And for god's sake don't let anyone borrow your book! Let them by their own! Starving authors who put thousands of hours into the creation of it are depending on you to just store them on a shelf, like little trophies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie