All She Needs

So, catching up on the elusive quest to return to normal acitivity. I got up and went to 4 different work-related activities this week. Two six-hour days were the highlight, but my leg was a piece of granite afterwards and during those days, I only sat in a chair!

So, not whining, but definitely still not ready for prime time.

This blog is about doing the absolute minimum to meet my duties and laying in bed, next to my dog, Melky, the rest of the time. Melky and I have had a number of long conversations over the last ten days, and while they are rather one-sided, we have reached an understanding.

Melky has all that she needs. There is a big window that overlooks our street, and she gazes out it when she doesn't feel like sleeping. As she looks out at the world, she is aggravated by the following things (in no particular order):

1). Squirrels
2). Birds
3). Mothers pushing strollers
4). other neighborhood dogs
5). Deer - she's seen two in ten days.
6). Cars pulling into the driveway next door.
7). That f*&%ing mailman

She is absolutely enamored with the following:

1). The air coming thru the open window.
2). My saying, "Melky, you're my buddy."
3). Me petting her ears.
4). Someone calling her to eat or go outside.
5). The bus pulling to a stop to let the kids off after school.

And this morning, as we discussed our schedule (I told you the family has left me basically alone) Melky seemed a bit disinterested.

And it dawned on me.

Her life is awesome and she is rather enjoying having someone to share it with.

She believes the food is good (although I disagree), the bed is warm, the window is a few inches away, deep sleep a moment after closing her eyes is easily achieved, and love is just a piece of rawhide away.

Nice, simple and clean. Why worry about anything else?

And you think I didn't learn anything through our long conversations!

Now if I can only apply what she's taught me when the leg starts bending right again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie