She's Friends with Who?

It's funny how things go. I recall the days of high school that went by so long ago. There was an endless struggle to try and mix with the cool kids, the ones who controlled whether or not you could hang with the pretty girls and the ones who everyone sort of looked up to.

I like charting the progress of the so-called in crowd from my high school days and noting who is doing well and who is battling life, and sort of losing.

Today on Facebook I saw a mention of how one of the cute, in-crowd girls accepted a friendship with a guy who was a couple of rungs below me on the dork chart. (And let me tell you, I was a couple of rungs short of the real cool people because I didn't get high, or skip school, or get thrown out of class for being disrespectful).

Anyway, I was sort of caught short of breath when I noticed that the good-looking girl accepted the branch of friendship extended by the totally dorky guy. She wouldn't have spit on the poor bastard in high school and now, through the magic of the computer, they are friends.

Of course, I haven't seen the hot chick in awhile, perhaps she hit a wall a while back.

Maybe the dork is now her boss as she tries to suck up to him. I can hear it now: "Remember all the fun we had in high school!"

Yet I think the people who were really wounded in high school probably still know the score. They probably keep track of the "cool crowd" and cheer when they hear about bad luck befalling the people who roamed the halls and made fun of them.

I wonder about my kids and if they struggle at all to fit in. I suppose all kids do, and most are pretty successful at finding a place. My boys aren't shy, and I wasn't either, so sooner or later you run into someone to tell a joke to.

Not sure what the conclusion to all of these thoughts are...just sort of noticed that the crowds are mixing it up a little bit. The nerds and the jocks sending messages back and forth on Facebook.

Who'd a thunk it?

What a world.

I'm actually thinking of friend-requesting all of the hot chicks from back in the day.

It's time to get up the nerve to talk to them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie