Living in Pain

I have a buddy who keeps texting me: Mind over Matter when it comes to my throbbing, unbendable leg. It may be because I was ignorant enough to say that to him once.

There are people who suffer in pain, in silence, every day. This post is for them. To the elderly, the ill, the chronic suffering, its all for you.

Because its awful.

And its especially disconcerting right now, because its my leg. And since I'm a writer, and since my pain tolerance isn't what I believed it to be, and since mind over matter is purely a moronic statement, I will not suffer in silence.

Yet there is certainly a lesson here, a lesson about taking things for granted and not appreciating the gifts that are bestowed upon us.

You see, I always, always fall asleep by turning on my stomach. I almost had to give that up because I developed a fear of heights, but that's another story.

Now, for two whole nights, I can't turn on my little belly to sleep. I have to start on my back, and despite waking up like that, evidently I can't drift to sleep in such a position.

And this isn't whining. I hate whiners. This is tragic, however, because, once more, it's my leg!

But I think of the millions of people who bravely battle their afflictions. If you beat the hell out of cancer, or suffer from chronic back pain. If you battled through an operation that took all of your strength and your brilliant mind to defeat the matter...my heart goes out.

Once more, don't take your health for granted. Thank the good Lord for the pain free days.

I will be the voice of the whiners for what looks like a few more days because my knee really hurts.

Did I already mention that?

Mind over matter my ass!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie