So Who Are You Voting For?

In about ten days I will walk into my local fire hall, close the curtain behind me and cast my vote in a whole bunch of elections.

How the hell do I vote with a clear mind?

Have you done your homework on all of the candidates?

Are you voting for the best looking candidate? The one with the least aggravating commercials? Someone who's party you think your in line with? Just voting against all the people who have already been in office because you want to wipe everyone out?

Voting for a candidate because Obama told you to? Or because Sarah Palin mentioned that you should vote along party lines? Voting for a guy who says he's mad? Voting for a senator because she's hot? Or stupid like the rest of us?

This is truly a confusing time and I cherish my right to vote, but wonder if I truly have all the right information to make a good choice.

There is one candidate who will get my vote next Tuesday because I drank beer with him once, and he was a funny guy.

There's another guy who will get my vote for governor because he's Italian. (I didn't give myself away there - they are both Italian).

Another guy won't get my vote because he refused to stand up in support when they were talking about closing down the Women & Children's Hospital of Buffalo.

But do I have all the information?

Not even close - and I read a lot.

The problem as I see it is that people don't really give a crap. It's easy to vote one way or the other based on just a little information.

There are way more people interested in whether or not Jennifer Grey or Bristol Palin wins Dancing with the Stars.

Which begs the question:

Why isn't there a test when it comes to being eligible to vote? Shouldn't we have a little background provided other than the 30-second commercials that all seem the same to me. Negative. Negative. More negative.

When I voted for the 1st time at 18 years old I had a real concise way of figuring out the candidates.

1). I voted along party lines - I didn't even know what party I was in.

2). I voted strictly for men - now that I have more information I can see that was a mistake.

3). I voted for guys with Italian names - if you ate pasta every week you were okay with me.

I shouldn't have been allowed to vote.

I'm not alone.

Comments

deafjeff said…
You know as well as I that both sides will screw you without batting an eye. Are they all crooks, no, not even I'm that jaded. But I think once they get in and they give jobs to all the family and backers they can, well staying in becomes paramount. So now we get good guys that will take money from shady sources. Should the company making the mess get to give you money so you won't pass a law to make them pay? I don't get that one at all. Someone tell me which group I should belong too because none of the major ones come close to my beliefs. Rent is too damn high party here I come!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie