Ignorance is Bliss

Growing up there were two signs that hung in the cubby-hole in our garage. I remember being a kid and seeing adults laugh at them.

One said, "What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?" The next line said, "I don't know and I don't care."

The other side said simply: "Ignorance is bliss."

Now, I haven't seen those signs around my parents home lately, but I do remember them being there, and like I said, the adults all smiled.

I thought of those signs this morning when I read a couple of news stories about violence involving gays, and of course, the speech given by one of the candidates for governor of New York where it was stated that we can't let our children think that homosexuality isn't wrong.

Perhaps ignorance is bliss. I really don't get it.

Why if you are a straight American do you care to make a statement about gay rights one way or another? I am all for equality of people and you can bet your ass that if I felt discriminated against in any way I'd beat on my chest until I was heard.

Say for instance that there was a law against loving the Yankees or eating pasta on Sunday, or having two dogs, or going to a Catholic church, or drinking grey goose martinis while cheering on Judge Judy.

Then I would have a dog in the fight, right?

And that's my point. Who gives you the right to choose the path that others choose to walk down? Why would you become violent in trying to change someone's mind about what they like or don't like?

And what are you going to solve? Because some buffoon running for governor is anti-gay will that stop homosexuality?

I don't know. I do understand that gay marriage is a hot button topic, but does it matter to me? I can't figure out how love is wrong and if it is love between two consulting adults...

... ah hell, I don't know. I do know that beating someone up because they don't have the same lifestyle as you is wrong. I also know that shoving your beliefs down someone else's throat (bad pun unintended) will also not get you very far.

Life is too short to walk around completely ignorant to the lifestyle of others. I don't like rap music, but I respect your choice to listen to it.

This is America folks.

No one should be able to tell you how to spend your day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie