Let the Defense Begin!

It's hard to think about October without considering that I will be staying up late a few times a week, or that I'll be swearing at Joe Buck and Tim McCarver as they spew their crazy crap and anti-Yankee venom. I really, really, really dislike those two gentlemen as announcers.

Yes - the 27-time World Champion Yankees are staggering into the playoffs in an attempt to defend the fact that they kicked the crap out of the Phillies last year. Can they do it again?

Well, I don't know, but as a Yankee fan my job is too act cocksure of myself, irritate everyone, and annoyingly remind everyone that this is the 27-Time Defending World Champion Yankees that we are talking about.

But, I am also a little down this time of year, as well, because the two people I talked about baseball the most are watching from the best seats in the house - hopefully with their arms around each other, and with a beer in their hands.

It's funny, but Michael Kay on the Yankee network played a videotape of Bucky Dent hitting the home run in '78 to beat the Red Sux in that one game playoff. I recalled the crisp feel of autumn in the air, remember that my father had left work early to watch the game, and especially cherished the good feelings we had later that afternoon. For a brief moment the other day, I was 13 years old, sharing the moment with my full family.

Man time goes...

But now to make cherished memories with my boys. They will never forget last year's win, and while they are hoping for another this year, and another next...they understand that winning isn't always easy.

Predictions?

I was absolutely correct on who would be in the playoffs. I had given the AL East crown to the Yanks and the Wild Card to Tampa, but I will take being 8 for 8 on who would make it there. Besides the Yankees didn't want to finish first or they would have. (How's that for being irritating?)

So...Round one...without further ado.

Phils over Reds....Phils have too much pitching.

SF over Atlanta...sorry Larry...Braves are too banged up and I've always hated Cox.

Texas over Tampa...Too much Cliff Lee (that's a great first name) and Tampa can't hit

and ...drum roll please...

Yanks over Twins...sorry Terry...too much CC and besides...I'm a Yankee fan.

You didn't really think I'd pick them to lose, did you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie