Good Night, Cliffffffffford!

I have no idea how I can explain to my kids that there are people you'll meet in life that will mean more to you than others.

The reason why is because I have no idea!

As a kid I grew up next to a cute red head who had parents that knew my parents. Her friends knew my friends. I couldn't have gone out with her or I would have gotten cooties.

She is now a good friend, of mine, thirty years later, Yvonne....

I went off to college... met a buddy that everyone called Gag because his last name was Gaglianone (Did I even spell it right?)....we only hung out for a year.

One of the best friends I've ever known...

And I told my boys, you only get a few of those types of relationships and that life was all about establishing what was real with true friends that will forever care about you no matter what the hell you do to them.

I have a bunch of buddies. I thought a lot about them this weekend as Kathy left town this weekend. Pops and I had a few beers. Jeffy and I are as thick as thieves. I love Johnny, Millie and the giraffe and my good pal, Terry from Rochester.

Thank God for good buddies!

It's funny, but tonight I was telling my boys about my college buddy, Gag, and how he'd sit on the end of my bed each night and say:

"It's been a good night. Go to sleep, Clifford. Sleep well."

It was like having another Mom on that first year of college.

Twenty five years later, after the Yanks and Phils lost tonight, he said:

"Good night, Clifford. Sleep well."

That's really, really, really, freaking cool...and I tried to explain it to my boys.

They thought I was out of my mind.

But it happens quicker than you think, boys.

Comments

Gag said…
You speeled (spelled) it right buddy.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie