Why? Why? Why Oh Why Try?

Decided over a couple of cold ones and good company late yesterday afternoon that I needed an outlook change yet again. Been bottoming out and pulling myself up for months and months now. So, it's nothing new.

Woke again before five, but decided not to worry about it. Go with it. Shoot up and out of bed and face the day. All good. Smiling as I wrote a note for the boys so they can do their chores around the house. No note equals no work. I've figured that much out.

Got to the first job by seven. Thankfully the crew had started early enough so they were happy to see me and I had a good jump on a productive day. Head to job number two. Still a skip in my getty-up.

That's where fate played a hand.

I'm checking out the job, still humming American Land to myself when a bulldozer operator called to me.

"Is that your silver Escape parked on the street out there?"
"Yeah," I called back.
"Truck just smashed right into it," he said.

Now I've known this operator for a while and have busted his chops at times. I smiled and waved. Then I saw a man moving around my car, checking it out. Turns out he was the truck driver.

"Dude, I'm so sorry," he said. "I cut the turn short. I'll get you my insurance info."

I grabbed a cup of coffee as I waited. Halfway through the coffee I became a tad irritated, but decided, given my new mood, to ride it out.

It wasn't the end of the world.

Figuring I was done with the coffee I headed to a 55-gallon drum being used for garbage and tossed the cup in. But the cup seemed a bit heavy for one reason or another.

That's because my new cell phone went with it!

And you know how this is going to end, right?

Yeah, the drum was filled with water. The phone went to the bottom.

The driver handed me the paperwork.

"You ain't having much of a day," he said as I wiped the water off the phone and tried to blow into the battery.

I'd love to say that the insurance guy called me right away. I'd love to tell you that the phone turned on and I was able to save myself from an hour wait at the Verizon store.

I'd love to say that my good mood was not shattered into tiny little pieces that I spent the rest of the day trying to gather.

Where the hell is my bottle of Jameson's, Gag?

I'm fresh out!

Back at it again tomorrow.

Comments

Stacey said…
Never had to try it but have heard that you can put a wet cell phone in a tupperware dish filled with white rice, seal it for 3 days then have a completely dried out, working phone. Does it work? Don't know but you might try it although if you are like me, you couldn't wait three days for the results! Sorry to hear of your no-good, rotten, horrible day.
Cliff Fazzolari said…
Thanks Stacey - heard that too, but I bought the insurance cause I'm prone to bouts of dumb.
Man. I thought I had a bad day yesterday. Actually, mine might have been worse - hot water tank replacement, dirtbag conversation... but I did have a dream about Jeff last night and we talked. I'll fill you in later.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie