Woke Up This Morning...

...The house was cold, checked the furnace, it wasn't burning. Went out and hopped in my old Ford, hit the engine, buddy she ain't turning. Giving each other some hard lessons lately, we ain't learning. It's the same sad story that's a fact. One step up and two steps back.

Not only do I love the imagery of that song, I find it sticks in my head from time-to-time when I hear stories of marital strife.

I was talking with a buddy today and he was looking for advice in a strained relationship. I had nothing for him. I thought of the Bruce song and it stuck in my head.

The story of David Letterman's problems and the difficulties of the ESPN reporter, also brought the song to mind.

I may be naïve - I thought OJ and Nicole made a cute couple, but it shouldn't be that hard to get along, but it is - and the couples who make it might actually be more lucky than good, right?

In any regard there certainly are mornings when the furnace ain't burning or the engine ain't turning.

The trick is in taking the hard lessons and then learning.

When I was first married I was so sure that there were so many things about my structured personality that might get in the way of a healthy relationship, but my wife kept to the lesson plan, and slowly but surely, I learned.

What did I learn above all else?

Mutual respect.

I should have told my buddy that.

Comments

Cliff Fazzolari said…
I know the title of it should be 'woke up this morning' instead of work up! I tried to fix it on my blackberry but can't figure out the edit - so 'work' it is!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie