Part Man-Part Monkey

Kathy and the boys left the house last night to babysit a two-year-old. Dylan is a cute kid, but I don't hang much with two-year-olds anymore. So, I hung with Melky and watched a baseball game. I also found that flipping through the stations passed a few minutes time until 48 Hours came on.

I came across Kirk Cameron the former sitcom, Growing Pains star. Since that time he has sort of given up acting and is a star of preaching about God. Good enough. He seems like a decent enough fellow, but he is currently on tour disputing the Evolution theory and Darwin as a man. He was on for just a couple of moments, but I felt bad for him. Why is he bothering?

Did man evolve from ape? Is God the master of all creation? What do you believe? What does he believe? Why doesn't everyone believe the same things?

I coaxed Melky off the couch for a trip outside and since it was quiet, I decided to just sit with her and feel the cool air.

A full moon was staring back at me above the whispering trees in the back yard. The breeze sent a shiver down my spine, but it was so quiet, with the exception of Melky shifting around. The clouds hung dark and low, as if they were pushing straight down onto my shoulders. They were moving across the sky quickly, but they were blocking every attempt I made to see a star.

Yet there was the moon, shining so brightly that I couldn't take my eyes away. 12 birds streaked across the sky directly above my head, and the dog, finishing what he needed to do, came close and huddled up close to my right knee.

I thought of Kirk Cameron and his impassioned plea to consider God in the creation of all of it. I thought of the scientists who tell us that evolution is a fact and not a theory. I considered that the dog wanted his warm blanket instead of the cool evening air, and I looked back to the moon.

What the hell is out there? I wondered.

It dawned on me that I am not smart enough to know for sure.

"But there has to be a God," I said aloud, and the dog jumped up. (He knows that God is dog spelled backwards).

"There has to be," I said.

We headed back into the house, but I threw one more glance to the moon hanging high above me.

There has to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty