None of This Has Happened Yet

Eight years ago today I was getting prepared to head over to The Women & Children's Hospital to learn about the size and severity of the tumor inside my boy's chest. We were in full emergency mode and our world was crashing down.

Fast-forward to last night. We were all on the couch watching the Yankees game one playoff win. Jake was between Kathy and me, making fun of me as I stumbled through a veiled threat to send him to bed early. His laughter elicited laughter from his mother, and though I grabbed for him, he went low and poked me in the ribs, giggling as he broke away.

And the feeling that I've been blessed, at various times in my life - blessings almost too overwhelming to appreciate - struck me straight between the eyes. I was in full appreciation for nearly a full 60 seconds of my day.

Then Jeter homered and I was even more appreciative.

Yet in this catastrophe of life there are certainly moments, memories, and instances we can certainly do without. Yesterday a co-worker said something along the lines of, "I'm counting the minutes until I'm out of here."

I said, "Don't wish away time."

He said, "Shut the hell up."

Still:

If we could go back in time and fix a few things...If we could strip away the pain that living brings...if we could appreciate everything that we are supposed to appreciate...man, wouldn't that be wonderful.

Yes, eight years ago today was a terrible time in my life. Eight years and two weeks ago I was a completely different man. I would never have fully appreciated that wonderful moment from last night.

And no, I'm not talking about Matsui's home run a couple of innings later.

I'm talking about mother and son sharing a laugh at the expense of Dad.

We're lucky to have that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie