Up, Up and Away

Not saying those parents in Colorado are lying about their kid supposedly floating away in the balloon, but if you are certain that your six-year-old is in grave danger and you need to make that quick call that can save his life are you going to phone the local media before dialing 911?

Speaking of which there was a woman in the Niagara Falls area who allegedly called 911 400 times in an hour or so because she wanted to be arrested. Now there is some drunk-dialing, huh? I used to do that to old college friends to aggravate them.

And this weekend there is a big commotion over a swingers weekend at a local hotel. The hotel has been rented out by a club of spouse-swapping people who are really upset as they feel they are being misunderstood by a non-tolerant society. Their story has been in the paper and on the news for about a week now.

What the hell is wrong with people?

In the case of the swingers they have been extremely bitter, saying that they have rights and are being shunned like African-Americans or Gays. I'm supposed to be a great liberal, right?

Well, I think behavior like that and then searching for publicity for it is a shame. Comparing yourself to the oppressed groups because you want to do some total stranger while your spouse watches. Weird.

What it all boils down to is that there are people out there in a great search for a little attention.

In this everyone-can-be-famous-for-a-little-while-if-you-act-like-an-ass-society there are people who seem willing to give up their wives, sons, and freedom just to get a moment on the news.

"Wouldn't it be cool to be on television?" Sam asked me the other night.

"I was on television for a couple of the books," I said.

"That had to be awesome!" Sam said.

So, I told him the story.

"I was on live television and the woman talking to me said, 'Let's take a phone call.' I looked up at the screen and it said, 'Jeff is calling from Hamburg'."

"Uncle Jeff!" Sam laughed knowing that what was coming was going to be funny.

"Yeah, and the lady said, 'Do you have a question for Cliff?' and Uncle Jeff said, 'No, just tell him the Yankees are winning 4 to 2.'"

Sam was laughing and shaking his head. "He didn't really do that!"

"Yeah he did, and when I got off the stage he called me on my phone and said, 'I know the camera adds ten pounds but how many freaking cameras did they have on you?"

Sam laughed, thoroughly enjoying the story about his tragically-missed Uncle. For a few moments he was silent.

"Maybe being on television isn't great," he said. "A lot of people can make fun of you too."

It seems as if Sam has the concept down. Now if maybe he can teach it to the millions of others who are frothing at the bit for their 15 minutes of shame.

Comments

deafjeff said…
The swingers are alright by me, don't give a hoot what consenting adults do. Didn't you have to go over the Grand Island bridges to get to the Falls? Your birthday weekend and you're driving right by anyways...Bah what the hell could your wife trade you for anyways?
HAPPY BIRTHDAY you old shit.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty