Stripped Down

The week gone past feels like it lasted about two years, but during the course of the week, I considered the statement that at every disaster scene there is a piece of heaven there.

We were all reminded of this during 9/11 as we considered the courage of the men and women who went into a burning building. On a personal level, I was reminded of this all week long, through the calm reassuring voices of friends who called or visited, or just stuttered through an 'I'm sorry.' The Face of God shined bright in my life this week through friends of Jeff who visited with brownies (thank-you Andrea - I had four), or brought salt-filled snacks (pepperoni is always a winner John) and just sat with us, talking, commiserating and filling us with hope.

And yet, life moved on without us - Obama had a few candidates withdrawn, the bail-out fight rages on, more people lost their jobs, Michael Phelps turned out to be a better swimmer than role model, and the Steelers won again.

I hardly noticed because I was stripped down to handle the crisis that threatened my brother, but you know what? A funny thing happened on the road to sadness; I was buoyed by the loving actions of those around me. I felt extremely blessed to be in these clothes at this time in my life.

A kiss from my wife meant a whole lot more, and the touch of my kids as we watched television or played a game was even more special than it already is. I felt encouraged by my chance to head off to work, even with so much else swimming in my veins. I appreciated every second of the precious sleep I got.

I didn't blame God for the shit hand dealt to my brother and our family. I didn't question whether or not it was a lesson for me to learn. I didn't spin in a circle looking for something to blame. It happened, let's go forward with love in our hearts and peace on our minds.

Life is better when it's stripped down for all of us to see. Watching my brother battle strengthens my spirit because for all of the years of his life and every second he's walked this earth, I have done nothing but love him as much as I've loved another person. And love does conquer all, if you are perceptive enough to let it fill your heart.

The days have been long. The nights have been longer, but there is a calm beneath the storm, and that calm is borne of what is right there in my heart, and in the hearts of all of those who've shared my time on this planet.

Life is stripped down to the bare minimum right now, but there's one hell of a view on what is truly essential.

Kiss someone close to you today. Do it right after reading this, and appreciate it for what it is.

Comments

Andrea Renee said…
You're welcome! Any special requests? I'm coming in again Monday. I've got a battery operated air pump I can bring, too... ;)
I just kissed Gracie... she didn't seem to get it though. Good post - you said exactly what I feel. I might copy it as my own... :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie