I'm Glad There's So Many People Smarter Than Me

With my brother in the hospital I'm meeting doctors and nurses and an entire staff of people who worked hard in high school and college while I was out drinking beer and causing trouble. I'm so glad those geeks were studying.

Then I went to the tax man over the weekend and he got me set up to get a refund. He's a geeky little guy, but he knows his numbers. Aren't all accountants geeky by the way?(That's a shot to Lisa). I'm so happy my taxman and yours wasn't at those frat parties where I ate the goldfish. (Lisa is smarter than me by the way).

My father once told me that 90% of the people I meet would be less intelligent than me. He may have been shooting high because I'm his son, but he finished his advice by saying - "Stay away from that other 10% until you need them for something."

This is the same man who told me that he wouldn't trust anyone who wouldn't drink with him, so you see a pattern.

Anyway, I'm just grateful for those who make me feel real stupid these days. I am also smart enough to defer to them when I need to.

I have people who work for Sterlinghouse who know more about what I want to say in my books before I do. They also choose covers better, edit like kings, and steer me on the right course. I let them do their work!

And then there's my wife - she fits in that smarter than me category as well, but I stay around her because she is able to correct a lot of the deficiencies, plus as I tell her all the time - she's a great companion for this part of the ride.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for help. Over the course of the last few weeks a lot of people have been asking me if they can help.

I may be just smart enough to take a few people up on their offers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie