Beauty in the Neighborhood

There's one line of about a hundred in the Springsteen album that really hits my heart - and it's simply, The Beauty in the Neighborhood, it's in the song, "This Life" where the narrator sings of the bottom line and what is truly important. The song is so crafted that when Bruce arrives at the beauty in the neighborhood line, the listener is just looking for the punch in the gut that will get the point across.

I've lived so much life in the last two weeks, swinging on a pendulum of love and sadness, and hopefulness and despair. One minute rising in faith and determination and feeling that I will soon crash down in a world of hurt and despair.

I've returned to a normal work schedule and have put in a couple of long days where I have been forced to stand in front of large groups of people and perform. I have a reputation of being a funny bastard, so I've had to dig deep to get there. Yet I'm an attention-whore, so I've been able to pull it off.

Yet the beauty in the neighborhood in my life is in the eyes of the people who feel the pain and despair, and thrive on the good moments, and the hopeful thoughts.

Today I exchanged e-mails with another author who lives a long ways away - we met just once, but our book discussion was long and thoughtful. When I explained why I'd been out of the loop a bit, he responded by saying that as soon as he opened my e-mail, he took out his rosary and completed it in honor of my brother.

There's beauty in the neighborhood. There have been so many acts of kindness that have made my heart swell with pride, and have made this portion of the ride at least do-able.

I'd love to hug each and every one of you who have tried to lessen the burden on our family, and in due time, I will.

In the meantime, appreciate the beauty in your own neighborhood.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie