Ice On the Wings

All right, it doesn't get any lower than sitting in a hospital ICU Waiting Room, watching the coverage of a downed aircraft where there is massive loss of life. Each talking head conveying as much sympathy as possible as the horrifying moment is relived time and time again.

We are introduced to people who've suffered the loss of a loved one as they are interviewed and the pain oozes through the picture tube and falls right there into our laps. I watched the coverage with my brother, Jim, and each time that I looked to him for a reaction, he simply shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. One time I believe he said, "Can you imagine?"

We've all had that fear. The last time I flied it entered my mind that things sometimes go wrong. In that instance I was thinking of Sully and his heroic effort on the Hudson. Next time, I will consider those who lost their lives on Thursday night.

As I returned home from the hospital last night I saw a plane in the sky making its descent towards Buffalo. I considered all that we take for granted, day after day, night after endless night. Of course the plane usually lands for us. Of course we make it across the street without getting run down by a drunk driver. Routinely, we are able to travel the roads, from here to there, from somewhere to home, without incident.

Man, I'm not much into taking things for granted these days.

Recently, my sons told my sister and brother-in-law about my habit of singing to my dogs. I do it all the time, and the dogs seem to like it - I simply sing their names to them -Melky and Shadow and Shadow and Melky. Or Shadow, my shadow and Melky Cabrera

I have taken some heat about this stupid habit, and my response has always been that they are here for such a short time, and that I'm going to make sure that they are happy, and feel my love.

Stupid? I suppose - but through the last twenty or so, long trying days, I've felt such love for every single creation in my life.

Don't take anything for granted.

Something as simple as ice on the wings can take a routine day and make it a moment of horrendous tragedy.

God rest their souls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie