The Gravy is Good

Sunday is a great day. There's church and pasta. There are meatballs, before and after we eat. Maybe a ballgame and a long nap. What's better than that?

I recall my father making the sauce each Sunday morning. I remember standing next to him when I was about three or four and saying, "Dad we should have pasta every Sunday." He just laughed.

To steal a line from my great brother-in-law Chuck - I've had pasta every Sunday since I developed teeth. This week too. Of course, my father made the world's greatest sauce, but my mother also got real good at it. Eventually, all the kids learned how to do it right. I don't even worry about my sauce not turning out good anymore - it's always dead-on and my in-laws have done a good job of requesting a batch for every gathering since I joined their family. I don't mind, either, because I know that I'll have a fall-back plan if there is just turkey or chicken or one of those healthy types of things on the menu.

Being proficient at making sauce is difficult though because when someone else makes it, it doesn't taste right. The red sauce that people rave about in the restaurants around town - well, I wouldn't feed it to Melky. I ordered pasta one time in a restaurant in California - I swear it was just ketchup on the spaghetti.

I tell you all of this because we imported a pot of sauce from a good friend this weekend, and it was also dead-on.

As Uncle Junior said to Tony on the Soprano's -"The gravy is good today."

I just wish I didn't eat until I can't move.

Comments

deafjeff said…
If someone makes the meatballs with the egg and salami inside, you think I maybe could get one?
Good idea Pops! Dad sent me home with a batch of sauce, and when I told the kids this morning, they wanted to eat it BEFORE school! It's on the menu tonight... Sorry, Pops, my fax machine doesn't send food...
deafjeff said…
BAAAAHHHHH

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie