The Look

I'm currently wearing a beige shirt and plaid shorts. Both clothing items are brand new and I wasn't allowed to wear them until today - we have a party at the in-laws and I am about to make my debut, looking presentable. Both my wife and I are well aware that these clothes are never going to look as good as they do today. In a matter of hours the beige shirt may be unwearable. It's just another attempt to change the look, and I'm telling you right now - it won't work.

We were also talking about "the look" from early in our relationship. My wife was complaining to one of her co-workers that I don't look at her the same way as I did when it was all brand new. I suppose that perhaps she's right - although I argued against her reasoning.

Yet its all about the way that relationships evolve, right? My parents have been married for nearly 50 years - you think there's that same sense of wonder as when they were dating? Now the look has evolved into that of revulsion on some days. Oh well, that's how the bottle bounces right? (See previous post).

The looks will certainly change through the years. I ran into a guy I hadn't seen for years - he just looked at me and laughed. "What the hell happened to you? Your gray and bald! You were rail skinny when you were young!"

I can't even explain the look I gave him.

Yet there certainly are days. Hanging around with my wife on a Saturday has allowed me a few looks today. "You're looking good," I told her.

"Yeah, I shaved and showered," she said.

"Ah, that's the difference."

You should have seen the look that I got.

Comments

CorLeone said…
I laugh just hearing him sing those lyrics...can't listen to Paul Young's version the same ever again. As an FYI: He works "cream cheese" in there somewhere, too.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie