Little League

Went out to watch Jake's Little League game - as I watched the game a ton of thoughts went through my mind. First and foremost - at least there was a game for me to watch - Jake almost never made it to Little League, but there he was looking at a called third strike in his 2nd at bat.

He rushed over to me after being punched out. I saw the disappointment on his face. "That 2nd pitch that he called a strike bounced," he said. "You did great," I said.

"I struck out with the bases loaded," he reminded me.

"Not a big deal," I said.

Yet I thought back to my own Little League career and it was a big deal. I remember the catcher from my old team climbing a tree and pissing his pants because he struck out. I also recall hitting a triple off of Digger Braymiller - and no one did that - Digger threw like a man - he graciously shook my hand after I hit the triple and then struck out the next three batters as I rotted on 3rd.

During Jake's game my mind did a trip back in time to my own career and on through high school sports. Some of the grown-ups at Jake's game were putting a lot of pressure on the kids, screaming instructions and calling out orders. What had seemed so important when I was 9 years old - seemed suddenly silly at the age of 43.

Yet it is important to teach the concept of team and individual accomplishment. My sons will walk away from Little League with - hopefully- great memories of their accomplishments.

Sure beats climbing a tree and pissing your pants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie