June18, 1978

I was just 13 years old on June 18, 1978. The Yankees were just coming off of their first World Series win in 13 years and me, my brothers, and my father were all excited about their chances to make it back to the big show in October. Ron Guidry was a skinny lefthander who was throwing gas to start the year. He was pitching that night thirty years ago against the California Angels.

The game wasn't on television and I couldn't check the scores on the Internet. I'm sure that I was driving my father absolutely crazy, but I needed to follow the game - it wasn't on the radio in Buffalo, either, and ESPN still hadn't even debuted.

I can remember my father leading me to the car. In the driveway, we sped through the dials looking for the game, and if everything was right we could hear Frank White and Scooter (Phil Rizzuto) call the game from New York City. We could only pick up the game in the driveway.

"Guidry struck him out!" Scooter called.

My Dad sat beside me and we listened through the cracks and dead moments. Guidry struck out 19 Angels and the Yankees won big. Dad sat right there listening to every pitch. Father and son, in the pitch-black listening, cheering, and laughing at Guidry's dominance. I often think of what was going on in his life at that time - six kids, a lot of work, mortgage, food bills, endless days and sleepless nights - but he sat beside me and listened.

30 freaking years ago! I remember it as if it were last night. So much has happened since then. My sons now share my love for the Yankees - yet they have no concept of going to bed wondering if the Yankees won. In this world of instant gratification, they know everything that happens the minute it happens.

Last night, Ron Guidry was on television - grey hair on his head and hair - his accomplishments long since forgotten by the casual fan.

"It was a magical night," Guidry said. "Every pitch was working. The planets were perfectly aligned and I had a night I'll never forget."

Me either, Mr. Guidry. My Dad often mentions that night. "Remember Scooter yelling, 'He struck him out!'" My Dad will ask.

I'm in charge of making my own memories with the boys. We share the special moments, and who knows what will stick in their minds. June 18, 1978 - look it up - it's there in the record books. Father and son sharing a moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty