Blind in One Eye

Let's see... my 2nd day out of town started with me getting out of bed at 6 AM and checking outside my hotel room door to see if they left a copy of the USA Today. As I swung the door open I bent down to see if they left the periodical and the steel rod that is used for the safety latch for the door went straight into my right eye. Two minutes after waking up, I was on my knees in front of the door, convinced that I'd poked my freaking eye out.

I got lucky - the rod went between my nose and my eyeball and for the first time in my life, I have a shiner. I look tough! I always thought I'd get my first black eye after saying something like, "You know what I think, I think you're a ....."

What a way to go.

Tomorrow is Jake's 11th birthday and he's having a sleep-over. Can't believe how much his arrival on the scene 11 years ago changed every aspect of my life. When kids arrive they bring a window into the grace of the world and being around them allows us to peek through that window into all the treasures of the Lord.

I can say that easily from here - I'm not going to be around for the stress of the sleep-over. I imagine that before he was born I was sort of blind in one eye and had trouble seeing out of the other.

11 years later, I like to think I'm seeing clearly.

Happy Birthday, pal - have at least 80 more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie