Tired of the Cavemen

When I made my First Communion the priest, during his sermon, asked the gathering if anyone knew what he meant when he mentioned the idiot box. Of course he was talking about television, but the kid he called on, who happened to be my next-door neighbor, said, "Is that the place where you keep the chalice?" The entire congregation laughed and I distinctly recall feeling bad for my neighbor.

"No," the priest explained, "the idiot box is the television because idiots sit in front of it."

My First Communion was in 1974 or '75, so that statement has hung with me for a long time.

Tonight, I was watching the commercial with the caveman riding the walking strip along the airport when he sees the picture of another caveman and reads the sign that says "So easy a caveman can do it." He acts all indignant and the song fades away as the Geico logo comes up.

I thought of the priest and the fact that I felt like an idiot for watching that commercial for what had to be the 50th time.

Fifty times thirty seconds is twenty-five minutes of my life that has been spent watching that stupid friggen' commercial.

I can imagine lying in bed, gasping for my last breath, wishing I had just a little time left. "Dear God, give me another half-an-hour!" I'll beg.

The skies will open and God's booming voice will answer - "Sorry, dude, (God is cool - he calls people 'dude') you wasted that half an hour watching that commercial with that caveman."

Idiot Box - why do I stare at the idiot box?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie