"Don't Be Stupid, You Moron"

Listening to Howard Stern has taught me a lot of life lessons - Howard plays a tape of his father scolding him when he was a mere child. "I told you not to be stupid, you moron," his father said long ago. Of course, Howard plays that into the reason why he is demented. Regardless, it's pretty funny. Unless of course, you have children, and you understand that sometimes such phrases are bound to slip out and cause a lifetime of pain.

My children are all different - one needs an ego stroke from time-to-time so I go out of my way to tell him that he's a good kid - I'll wrap my arm around his shoulder and say to my wife - "This is the guy I've been telling you about - he's a great guy."

That is a take-off on a Simpsons episode and brings a smile to Jake's face every time.

I have another son who rarely needs an ego boost - he's good and he knows it - good old Sam will strut around like the coolest thing on the planet - and you know, he might be. He understands that he's been blessed with an unbelievable memory and he lets you know he understands just how gifted he is - I don't need to tell him he's a good guy all the time - because he knows it. He's like the best-looking girl in class who expects the attention of all the boys.

Matt, is exhibit #3 - he is also supremely confident and refuses to be beat down by life. I'll remind him that all of the underdog teams he roots for have lost because I like to let him know that he won't glide through life untouched. My words of doom have little bearing on how he lives his life - which is great.

My own father absolutely encouraged me - I'm sure that there were times when he thought I was absolutely clueless - he probably still thinks that from time-to-time. He even told me every once in awhile, but it wasn't anything that truly stuck because I knew he loved me.

Yet the lesson in today's blog is to treat your kids with respect because it may have a bearing on what they turn into. Calling your child a moron might result in him or her turning into a great shock jock who interviews strippers and circus freaks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie