Sore Back

All through my adult life I've had a back that acts up every once in awhile. It's sore now and will remain that way for a few days. When your body aches, there is little that you can do to cheer yourself up. I would never truly think about stopping to rest, so I try other things.

For one, I think of people who have tremendous amounts of courage. There are soldiers at Walter Reed who are missing limbs and are ready to go back into the war game.

There are people in wheelchairs who whistle their way through the thought that they won't walk again.

I had a dog who could barely move, but was determined to sleep - up three flights of stairs - by my side.

There are single mothers who cook, clean, and work to keep their families together.

There are homeless men and women sleeping under bridges because we forgot about them, or because we don't want to consider their weaknesses.

There are sick children, battling for lives that have barely begun. There are doctors and nurses - no doubt with sore backs - who are trying to save these kids.

Okay, that didn't quite work. Knowing that I have to get up from this chair in a moment sends a shiver down my spine, but I'm about to do it.

And do you know why? It's because I try not to give much credence to the pain - it will go away and life is surely strange that way.

In a couple of days, I am going to be in a great mood because the pain in my back will be gone. If I didn't have the pain right now, that spike in my mood wouldn't be just around the corner.

How's that for seeing the glass half full?

Okay - here we go - aaaaaargh! The good mood is just hours away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie