Meeting New People


Book signings have always been strange events for me. From the very first one, on down to last night's appearance at Barnes & Noble, I'm never real sure what to expect.


Last night was entertaining because I had the opportunity to speak to a group of writers. Writing is a solitary exercise that dictates that you spend a lot of time inside your own head. Then, while promoting the book, you're asked to put your best smile on and greet potential book-buyers.


I've learned to really enjoy it, and I can trace it all back to the teenager with his pants falling down, a stud stuck in his eye, and a torn baseball jersey. Wordlessly he picked up a copy of my newest book, and read the back cover. I started getting excited believing that I had a sale and he calmly placed the book back on the table and said "Dude, you know where the bathroom's at?"


I suppose that I will never forget that gent.


Last night, I met an aspiring writer who is just 16-years old. Her pointed questions about writing challenged me, and her enthusiasm for the craft invigorated me. At the end of the evening, she asked me to sign a book for her, and moments like that are worth endless hours of sitting around hoping someone will buy a book.
My wife kids me that my groupies are ladies who like to bring me baked goods and talk about books. I figure that is just about perfect.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie